Geoff Rod

Thursday, July 11, 2013

A couple of things come to mind tonight.

The first is the idea of writing.  And the motivation behind it.

A few years ago when I was first getting to know Denver Nights - and it's not so much a writer creating the narrative as it is the narrative helping create the writer - that I wondered about how people made a living from the craft.

I researched a wide array of tips on how people brought their materials to market.  The one thing that sticks with me today is a post I came across from a poet.  This isn't verbatim, but it went something like this:

"I've put my heart and soul into a collection of poetry reflecting my deepest challenges and struggles.  Now how do I make money out of it?"

Huh.

It was...paradoxical?  The idea that something so compelling and vivid to someone instantly turned into the thought of money.

While the idea of sustaining an existence on writing is appealing (for every writer, I imagine), I think that person had it wrong.

But what do I know...


No comments:

Post a Comment